Are you a parent carer looking after a child under 18 with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities (SEND)? Join us for our Carers Rights Day event on Friday November 24th, 2023.
Carers Rights Day exists to ensure carers are aware of their rights. This national date aims to let carers know where to get help and support and raises awareness of the needs of carers.
This year Swindon Carers Centre is holding an event with a focus on parent carers. Parents supporting a child with SEND don’t always recognise themselves as carers – they are first and foremost parents. This year, for Carers Rights Day, we hope to share the message that identifying and registering as a carer can open up opportunities for further support.
All parent carers are welcome to attend our event for advice, information and updates on support available for parent carers in Swindon. The event is being held at Swindon Town Football Club, County Road, Swindon, SN1 2ED, from 10am to 1.30pm.
Parking is free for those attending the event. You are welcome to attend with the child you care for and there will be a small quiet area at the event. There will be no creche provision, and parents are responsible for any children attending.
We realise that you may not be able to make the whole day. Please feel free to come for part of the day if you’re not able to attend the entire event.
Timings for the event are:
10am Doors open for registration, tea and coffee
10.20am Presentations begin
11.30am Q&A session, to include Swindon MPs
12.15pm Our marketplace opens, with stallholders available to offer individual advice
1.30pm Marketplace closes and the event finishes
Our speakers will include:
- Hannah Freeland, Designated Social Care Officer, Children’s Services, Swindon Borough Council
- Hillary Willard, Assistant Team Manager, Transitions Team, Swindon Borough Council
- Freyr Bendleton, Manager, SIAS – SEND Information, Advice and Support Service
- Sarah Hayes, Senior Youth Engagement Worker, Early Help Team North, Children’s, Families and Community Health, Swindon Borough Council
The Q&A panel will include:
- Sir Robert Buckland, MP for South Swindon
- Justin Tomlinson, MP for North Swindon
- Caroline Holmes, Deputy Place Director for the Swindon Locality, Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Integrated Care Board (BSW ICB)
- Lisa Arthey, Director of Children’s Services, Swindon Borough Council
At our marketplace you’ll be able to meet:
- Local Offer Team, Swindon Borough Council
- Education Inclusion Team, Swindon Borough Council
- Youth Engagement Team, Swindon Borough Council, and U Turn Drugs and Alcohol Service
- Swindon Food Collective
- Kennet Furniture Refurbiz
- Citizen’s Advice
- SIAS, Send Information Advice and Support
- Swindon Carers Centre
- Great Western Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Healthwatch Swindon
- Swindon SEND Families Voice
- Mums on a Mission
- Mental health charity MIND
- ABL Health/ B U Swindon
- Aiming High
- Enham Trust
How to register
You don’t have to register to come along. However, it would help us if you’re able to do this, as we can plan for the number of people we think we’ll have on the day. Please click here for our Eventbrite link which you can use to let us know if you plan to attend. If you would like any more information, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our main number on 01793 531133. We look forward to seeing you there!