Warm & Safe Wiltshire is a Swindon Borough Council backed service offering advice and support on keeping safe and warm at home. It can help with the following:
- Help and advice relating to insulation, heating and draught proofing
- Available grants and schemes for energy saving measures
- Understanding heating systems and controls
- Warm Home Discount Scheme applications
- Comparing gas and electricity tariffs and switching suppliers
- Switching from prepayment to credit meters
- Managing fuel debt and understanding fuel bills
- Priority Services Register referrals
- Managing issues with damp and condensation
- Benefit entitlement
The Warm & Safe Wiltshire advisors can check your eligibility for the £140 Warm Home Discount rebate on your electricity bill, and can help you apply for it. They can also check for any other sources of financial support including the local Surviving Winter grants. If you need home insulation improvements they can advise on all the schemes available including the new Green Homes Grants. And if you have heating problems, they will know what the options are for you.
Warm & Safe Wiltshire has also teamed up with Wales & West Utilities to offer Swindon residents free locking cooker valves. These are simple safety devices which can be fitted to existing gas cooker pipework for people who can no longer operate their cooker safely, enabling the gas supply to the cooker to be locked when not in use. The cooker can only be used under supervision, and can be locked with a key when the key holder leaves the property. This can give family members and carers peace of mind that the occupier will not come to any harm when they are alone. These valves only isolate the cooker, so gas central heating will continue working as normal.
If you are interested in finding out more about any aspect of the Warm & Safe Wiltshire service, please use these contact details:
Warm & Safe Wiltshire
Freephone 0800 038 5722